Santorini was our first port of call in the beautiful Greek islands, and from the minute we sailed into the bay and caught a glimpse of it, I knew I was going to just LOVE it.
And I did.
What I didn't love so much was the long & smelly walk (600 steps apparently) up the ziggy-zaggy path from the harbour to the town!
Having sought and taken the advice of friends and guidebooks, I had already decided that we would not follow nor ride the smelly donkeys up the mountainside but would instead opt for the more sedate cable car. But as we disembarked from the tender boat, Ali spotted the long queue and immediately put the kabosh on that idea and marched me in the direction of the uphill path. Fine for him - he was wearing trainers and has no sense of smell!
I, on the other hand, had on my oh-so-pretty summer sandals and could very distinctly smell the donkey deposits that were strewn along the path.
Let's just say, it wasn't my finest hour, but once we had survived the running of the donkeys and reached the top, I was secretly pleased (and slightly proud) that we'd done it.
First stop was a little cafe for a long, cold drink and then we set about exploring the town and all its quirky little streets. But at the end of the day, sanity prevailed and we returned to the harbour by cable car.
The next day dawned hot and sunny, and very windy as we docked in Mykonos.
Thankfully no more steep uphills to contend with and as per usual, we wandered off the beaten track a wee bit and meandered through the oft-times narrow streets of Mykonos town.
Happening across this lovely little cafe that claimed to have "THE best crepes" , we could not resist the temptation and can happily now confirm that they were indeed delicious.
We loved Mykonos as well and both of these unique and wonderful destinations are now firmly on our list of "Places-To-Visit-Again".






0 comments: